The English Electric Canberra was Britain's first jet-bomber entering service with the RAF in 1951. In Australia the RAAF was planning a smaller air arm with state of the art equipment at the end of the 1940s, and the Canberra was the obvious choice to replace the aging Lincoln aircraft.
The Australian Government decided that 48 RAAF Canberras would be produced in Australia by the Government Aircraft Factory (GAF. The first Australian built Canberra flew in May 1963.
The Canberra served Malaysia during the Malayan Emergency, and in 1967 the RAAF deployed No.2 Squadron to Vietnam where they operated Canberras in a low level bombing role. By the end of their involvement in Vietnam, No 2 Squadron's aircraft had flown 12,000 sorties.
The General Dynamics F-111C aircraft was chosen to replace the Canberra, but delays in their delivery saw the Canberra continuing until final retirement in 1982.
The Museum's Canberra A84-226 was delivered to the RAAF in April 1958 and served with RAAF No's 2 and 6 Squadrons. It was sent to RAAF Wagga in December 1971, and went on display at the base.
RAAF Heritage gifted A84-226 to the museum in February 2016.