Pratt and Whitney R2000 Twin Wasp
The Pratt and Whitney R-2000 was a fourteen cylinder twin row, supercharged and air cooled radial piston engine that was a development of the Pratt and Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp designed primarily for WW2 US military transport aircraft and incorporated features to reduce the cost of manufacture by using standard crankcase bearings, and easier maintenance by repositioning the two magnetos from the rear of the engine to the front.
Fuel grade was reduced to 80/87 octane as it was thought the supply of 100/130 octane may not be maintained during the war years, which was not the case as it happened.
Cylinder bore was increased to 5.75in (146mm) to bring the engine displacement to 2,000cu in (32.8L) while the stroke was maintained at 5.5in (140mm).
Power output on 80/87 octane fuel was 1,300hp and 1,450hp on 100/130 octane fuel.
First running in May 1940, it was first delivered in August 1941, and between 1941 and 1949 when production ceased, 12,966 units were produced and powered aircraft including the Douglas DC-4 and C54 Skymaster, and Super DC-3, the Aviation Traders Carvair and the de Havilland DHC-4 Caribou and others.
Power to weight ratio
14 cylinder twin row supercharged radial piston engine
2,004cu in (32.8L)
2 overhead valves per cylinder.
Stromberg pressure injection carburettor- auto mixture control.
single stage-either 1 or 2 speed. 0.50/1
1,350hp @ 2,700rpm - 80/87 octane fuel - 1,450hp @ 2,800rpm - 100/130 octane fuel
0.92hp/lb on 100/130 octane fuel.