Pratt and Whitney R1830 Twin Wasp
The Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp was a fourteen cylinder twin row supercharged air cooled radial piston engine with power output varying from 800hp to 1,200hp dependent on the variant.
Development of the engine began in 1929 with Pratt and Whitney's experimentation of the twin row concept that promised a larger volumetric displacement with no increase in frontal area, thus less drag. Smaller cylinder size would allow higher rpm creating smoother engine operation and longer life.
The engine achieved record production of 173,618 units built between 1931 and 1951, and was used in the B24 Liberator, Consolidated Catalina, Douglas DC-3 and Grumman F4F Wildcat to name a few.
The R-1830 was built under license by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) during WW2 to power the locally produced Bristol Beaufort bomber and the CA-12 Boomerang fighter aircraft.
Bore and Stroke
14 Cylinder twin row supercharged air cooled radial engine
Square at 5.5in (139.7mm)
1,829.4 cu in (30 L)
2 overhead valves per cylinder
Single speed centrifugal
2 Barrel Stromberg carburettor
1,200hp @ 2,700rpm at take off
700hp @ 2,325rpm @ 13,000ft (4,000m)